Peaceful Marriage Tip: An Exercise for Finding Common Ground When Picking a House to Buy

>> Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How can couples with differing view points find a happy medium?

The first house my hubby and I bought was his style, but I HATED it. I mean H.A.T.E.D. it. When we chose to buy again, our realtor gave us a homework assignment before we ever went looking at houses. We were to each, separately, write a list of the items that we wanted in a house. Then prioritize them and write them out again in the prioritized order. After that was done, we were to bring our two list together to see what we had in common and what was most important to each person.

It helped so much! He was able to see that I really did want a house with some character. I was able to see that he really wanted low maintenance. We were able to find a happy medium by looking for a house older, but still in REALLY good shape.

Our home was built in the 1940s, but it is NOT a tract house. But it passed all the inspections and we have had to do very few repairs on it in 3 years. The changes we have made have been mostly upgrades like a  wider carport, moving the furnace from a closet into the attic, etc.

The downside to this is that we also ended up with a smaller and newer home than if we had been willing to do repairs on an older home, but I am wiling to make the sacrifice for a happy hubby and a happy me!

********************************************************
 -------Comments feed my hungry blog-------

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Email subscription box

Related Posts with Thumbnails
All this is a result of my personal hard work. Do not take any of it and claim it as your own. Feel free to link and use my photos IF you give me credit. Please be honest. Any other use will need permission. Email me at (sarah.beyondallmeasure at gmail.com) to request permission for other uses.

BlogCatalog

Totally tutorials tips tricks recipes how tos

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP