A 1970s party, part 2-- homemade butter mints recipe

>> Monday, October 19, 2009

I wanted to make butter mints like the ones the cook at our church made for weddings when I was a child. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted; so I created my own recipe.

Way better than any store bought mints. These are not hard. They are soft, melt-in-your mouth mints. Easy to make and mouth-watering to eat.


Sarah's Buttermints
makes approx. 200 1" circles


4 T. butter
1 t. vanilla extract
2 t.mint extract
1/2 t. butter flavoring ($2 at Walmart- wedding isle in craft section)
1 lb powdered sugar
a small cup of water
microwave safe bowl
a knife or small circle cookie cutter
cookie sheets (probably 2)


In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter in microwave oven at 30 second intervals. Be careful not to overcook. Add flavorings. Mix well (I used my mixer and a dough hook). Gradually stir in powdered sugar, about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. Mixture should be smooth and thick. When mix gets f lackey, add water-- a few drops at a time until the mix sticks together-- but is not sticky to the touch. The last little bit may require kneading by hand.  Turn out on a surface covered lightly in powdered sugar. With a rolling pin, roll mix to 1/4 inch thick and cut into small circles with a mini cookie cutter or into small squares (like store bought dinner mints) using knife. Place on cookie sheets. Allow to air dry for at least 2 hours (overnight works well). Keeps well in the freezer.

My sister-in-law tasted them and said, "Oh, WOW!"

They really are that wonderful.
WHEAT FREE! Egg free. Milk free if you substitute margerine for the butter. Gread for those with alergies, which our birthday girl has in EXCESS.



********************************************************
Sarahatbeyondallmeasure.blogspot.com
Sarah.Beyondallmeasure@gmail.com
WWW.Beyond-All-Measure.Com (under construction)
http://www.beyondallmeasure.etsy.com/
http://www.ravelry.com/people/beyondallmeasure
Craftster Handle: Measure-once-cut-twice
Crochetville Handle: Beyondallmeasure

Come craft with me!

1 comments:

❦TattingChic November 6, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

Oh, these look delicious! I've never seen a recipe for home made buttermints before! I've added the link to this blog post to my "Other Links I Like" list on my blog! I want to be able to find this again someday!

Oh, I saw that you follow my blog and I just wanted to say thank you! I hope you come and visit often!☺☺☺

Post a Comment

Email subscription box

Related Posts with Thumbnails
All this is a result of my personal hard work. Do not take any of it and claim it as your own. Feel free to link and use my photos IF you give me credit. Please be honest. Any other use will need permission. Email me at (sarah.beyondallmeasure at gmail.com) to request permission for other uses.

BlogCatalog

Totally tutorials tips tricks recipes how tos

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP