Sprouting seeds and container gardening-- the frugal way

>> Saturday, April 11, 2009

I didn't want to use any more potting soil than I needed to. And last year I had a lot of dud seeds. So I used the method shown in my post here to do soil-less sprouting.
I was really surprised how many of my seeds didn't even develope. I assumed that last year they had died from too much/not enough water. But this method showed me that some seeds just do not do anything. Bean sprouting on a paper towel that had been wetted down and then put in a zip lockbag, inspired by this post. I didn't know that the roots would grow into the paper towels. So I tore off all of the paper EXCEPT any that had roots in it. I then planted the rooted paper towel with the seed. Worked very well really.

I didn't have to plant anything that wasn't already growing. Any leaves that were starting I made sure were above the soil.

It also took up alot less room while they were sprouting. I kept all the baggies in a little basket in my kitchen window sill for about a month.

Soon I will show you how we came up with raised beds with out paying a DIME!

********************************************************
Sarahatbeyondallmeasure.blogspot.com
Sarah.Beyondallmeasure@gmail.com
WWW.Beyond-All-Measure.Com (under construction)
http://www.beyondallmeasure.etsy.com/
http://www.ravelry.com/people/beyondallmeasure
Craftster Handle: Measure-once-cut-twice
Crochetville Handle: Beyondallmeasure

Come craft with me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Email subscription box

Related Posts with Thumbnails
All this is a result of my personal hard work. Do not take any of it and claim it as your own. Feel free to link and use my photos IF you give me credit. Please be honest. Any other use will need permission. Email me at (sarah.beyondallmeasure at gmail.com) to request permission for other uses.

BlogCatalog

Totally tutorials tips tricks recipes how tos

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP